Friday 27 June 2008

some more quotes by Odilon Redon

Just for Doug, here are a few more quotes, from Monsieur Redon, that I particularly like.

"It is precisely from the regret left by the imperfect work that the next one can be born."
I think we all feel this one to be very true.

"What distinguishes the artist from the dilettante? Only the pain the artist feels. The dilettante looks only for pleasure in art."
This is, I think, the reason it is so difficult, perhaps even impossible, for these two to communicate.

"The artist yields often to the stimuli of materials that will transmit his spirit." I really adore this sentiment.

and this one, I'm particularly drawn to...by it's very suggestiveness.

"My drawings inspire and are not to be defined. They determine nothing. They place us, as does music, in the ambiguous world of the undetermined. They are a kind of metaphor."

No comments: