Saturday 31 January 2009

In case you were wondering what I've been up to...


I've been working on a new piece that features ginko leaves. I've used the leaves in a very sculptural way and have been experimenting ways of creating a convincing texture that is both delicate and emphasises the form. Ultimately, the best result came from some very demanding, and very fine engraving. I'm quite chuffed with the effect, I'll get some images up shortly. The image above is a greatly enlarged close-up of one of the leaves prior to the texture being engraved. It's carved fine silver. If you click on the image you can see it even bigger. That section is probably only 7mm across.

I woke up at 5:30 this morning and rather than lie awake in bed I got up and did some calligraphy ( shodo ) practice. I don't usually show my brush work but I was quite pleased with this little bit because it's so idiosyncatic. It's just the name I sign on my tsuba.



While I'm here I thought I'd also plug a website that markets some pretty cool music. A strong emphasis on acoustic guitar with a bit of singer/songwriter/folk/blues is what you'll be able to sample at Candyrat.com

No comments: